Heaven is a large and interesting place, sir!
I am going to make a greater effort to post more. I don't know how this will go, but I thought I would put my intentions out there. I've been thinking long and hard about the book I'm writing. I haven't made any progress on it but I'm busily developing scenes and characters in my head. The book takes place in a time of war. To be precise in Iraq, and here in the States. A question that will stream throughout the book is which place is worse to be. I discovered a new character this week. I haven't written him in yet, but I think he's going to play a pivotal, unintentional role. I've been out of the country for a bit, so I missed the news of an Army sergeant and Arabic linguist being put out of the military because he's gay. Jon Stewart informed me of it, and I subsequently went online to investigate. Apparently the Army has put out 55 Arabic linguists for being gay. 55. Of the most critical jobs in the Army. Because they were found to violate don't ask don't tell. Not only am I vehemently opposed to the discrimination of gays in the military, it also makes me physically sick to think the abhorrent regulation against homosexuals in the military could be costing lives in Iraq. Linguists are so absolutely integral to what we're trying to do in Iraq. And our government has not only shot itself in the foot by discharging those 55, its also shot servicemembers in the back. You ask a Soldier walking the streets in Baghdad if they'd prefer to have a linguist with them or not, every one of them will say they'll take the linguist. And I highly doubt they'd give a damn about their sexual oreintation. And so my gay linguist is going into my book. And his discharge is going to cost the life of a main character. Am I being overly dramatic, am I being unreasonable? I don't think so. I think that if the government sees fit to put our sons and daughters in harm's way, than the government has forfeited its right to be a bigot.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home