Sheriff, what are you sitting around for? We've got places to go and people to see.
You know what one of my favorite movies is? Waking the Dead with Bill Crudup. Yes, brother, you recommended this to me many years ago. I love Billy Crudup's character. And I've been thinking about it since I saw the preview for Trust the Man this weekend. Billy Crudup plays an idealist whose lost his way in Waking the Dead. The movie is really all about him straying from his idealist beginning and then waking up to it again, thinking that he's losing his mind because to feel those ideals again is akin to insanity. And thats how everyone around him treats him. Like he's insane for stumbling blindly across an abandoned belief system. The only one who makes him feel that its okay to grasp at his old ideals is an apparition of a girlfriend killed in a car bombing years before. You can imagine how comforting it is to have your sanity and ideals justified by a dead girlfriend. Very reassuring. For years of watching this movie I believed the ghost was real. I thought she really had just gone away for a decade and was now back because he needed her. I much prefer an ethereal eternal view of love than flesh and blood. Flesh and blood is so finite. Enough on that movie. I don't know whether I'll watch it again, if I do I'll most likely fast forward to the restaurant scene where Crudup has a nervous breakdown at the dinner table with his whole family. You actually see him crumble and then somehow put the brakes on it and recompose. Its a really powerful scene. I love breakdown scenes. Is that weird?

1 Comments:
Hi, Lee. Have you seen "Best of Youth" yet? Beware, it's 5 hours (2 discs) but worth every minute. I saw it last week and the characters are still popping into my head like they're part of my life...
xo
abc
Post a Comment
<< Home